Sat 3 Dec 2011
It doesn’t have to get all crazy and complicated. Take a deep breath. Exhale. Relax. You and your skin can look and feel very good even during an intense holiday season- and any other time. You can rest easily and confidently on these 12 gentle, useful tips…
1) Epsom Salt Bath…Sound weird? Just try it. The benefits are nothing short of profound and Epsom Salts are surprisingly inexpensive (and easily found at any pharmacy or health store). Just add Epsom Salt to your bath and you are literally helping your body to be more youthful. Here is what Epsom Salt can do for you: Soften your skin, draw toxins from your body, relax your muscles, relieve pain and cramps, relieve headaches, calm your nervous system, ease stress, lower your blood pressure, reduce swelling and inflammation, improve circulation, neutralize foot odor, improve absorption of nutrients and provide your body with easily absorbable magnesium (which helps to regulate over 325 of your body’s enzymes as well as helps your body’s electrical impulses and energy production to function well, and also helps to produce serotonin, the mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of calm and relaxation). It is believed that bathing with Epsom Salt at least three times a week not only makes you look and feel better, it increases your energy. Plus, Epsom Salt baths are deliciously pleasant to experience. You can keep your bath simple with just Epsom Salt and warm water, or you can dry brush your skin first and then enjoy a full detox bath, followed with a high-quality moisturizer.
2) Hydrogen Peroxide Bath: Hydrogen Peroxide (yes, that super inexpensive stuff from the drugstore or pharmacy) is essentially oxygen. Oxygen stimulates energy production as well as continuous rejuvenation throughout your entire body. Oxygen also helps to heal bacteria-related skin issues, like breakouts. Pour Hydrogen Peroxide into your bath…you might be quite surprised at how refreshed you look and feel when you are done. (Hydrogen Peroxide must be properly diluted. Click here and here and here for more info on that, as well as more details on the many benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide baths.) After your bath, apply a high-quality moisturizer. Your skin will say “ahhhhh.”
3) Frownies: Let’s be honest; Frownies are not perfect. They can’t firm and smooth your entire face the way facial exercises and regular micro-needle rolling and regular facials and the right skin care products can. However, if you are short on time and motivation, they can be an inexpensive, simple, and pretty quick way to smooth your forehead and eye area. And sometimes having an improvement like that is just the ticket. (Ultimately though, I think Frownies work best as an added boost to your regular facial exercise regime, series of facials and good skin care products. )
4) Clarisonic Facial Brushes: Sick of having clogged pores and perhaps breakout-prone skin? Or frustrated with sensitive skin that seems to get reactive to any exfoliating product? Clarisonic Facial Brushes, along with a good skin care regime at home, can be just the boost you need to awaken your smoothest, clearest, most glowing, peaches and cream complexion. (Updated note: Clarisonic was purchased by a larger company, and there appears to be some changes made that are not beneficial…ack. The brushes still may be okay for you, but if you have ultra sensitive skin, they may no longer be your cup of tea.)
5) High Quality Mineral Make-Up: If you have sensitive skin, rosacea-prone skin, clogged pores, or breakout-prone skin and you wear make-up on a fairly regular basis, You need make-up that is beneficial to your skin, not clogging, irritating or drying. Sometimes the right make-up can even help to improve problematic skin conditions.
6) Tea for Beautiful Skin~ White tea is the least processed Chinese tea, and is proving itself to be an anti-aging powerhouse. Research has so far uncovered that white tea is very effective in boosting the immune function of skin cells and protecting them against free radical damage. White tea has been tested against 21 plants and herbal extracts with potential healing benefits, and white tea blew all 21 out of the water. (After white tea the closest contenders were rose, green tea, angelica, anise and pomegranate.) In a nut shell, white tea offers profound reduction of inflammation, in addition to ample support for collagen and elastin strength… Each of which create healthier, more youthful skin. Two cups a day (or more) are recommended.
7) Water~ Completely vital to your complexion’s radiance…and its so easy to let your intake lapse in the winter when a cold glass of water probably doesn’t sound very appealing. First, why you need water: Water is critical for good digestion, effective detoxification, and ample hydration. Each of these areas must be optimal in order for your skin to truly be healthy and to glow. So, consider trying warm or hot water with a slice of fresh lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit…When its cold outside, this may beckon to you more. Daily, ample water offers you easily obtainable and truly far-reaching visible benefits. In the long-term, nothing can take its place.
8) A Body Wrap at Rich Earth~ For a long time I resisted offering Body Wraps at Rich Earth. I had always trained and worked in very large, traditional spas, so the Body Wraps I worked with, while they were very effective and very relaxing, were also time-consuming, messy, extremely smelly (in the case of the seaweed body wrap- phew!) and required a full-on shower for the client at the end. I assumed that body wraps that didn’t replicate all this hoopla were not very effective, and since I could not do all that in my single cozy treatment room, I did without. Then Epicuren (leave it to the most innovative skincare company around) came up with a brand new body wrap design plan…incredibly simple, effective products (that naturally smell exquisite), time-honored methods of execution, and gorgeous results. I was a total skeptic, but allowed the Epicuren representative to give me the treatment anyway. And…it was great. Simply great. The treatment itself was intensely pleasurable. I felt extremely relaxed at the end but also energized. My skin was unbearably soft and smelled divine. (My hair smelled divine, too.) Most fun of all, I noticed my jeans fit a bit more loosely when I got dressed after the treatment. It was treat in every way, and its one I absolutely love passing along to you.
9) A Facial at Rich Earth~ A few weeks ago the Oregon State Lottery was up to some unimaginable squillion dollar number, and a friend and I were dreaming about what we would do with all that money if we won. I surprised myself by knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would want to continue giving facials. Its challenging, heart-felt work and what I give to you on the treatment table is exactly what I would want for me. Providing the best possible skin care I can is a calling, and a privilege, and it nourishes me continually to bring nourishment to you…Nourishment in the form of a relaxed face, a relaxed body, a calm mind, skin that radiates with beauty, and ultimately coming away from your treatment with an understanding of what your skin is asking for to be at its best.
10) A Back Facial at Rich Earth~ a treat on many levels. Deeply restorative and pleasurable, easier on the pocketbook than you might think, and it leaves everything from the nape of your neck to the small of your back silky and lovely… for when you slip into your favorite little holiday dress.
11) Simplicity~ Its easy to get wound up in complications surrounding skin care- but the truth is you can go far with just the basics. (And when you do decide to add more oomph to your skin care regime, you get more benefit from it when all the basics are already in place.) Its nice to know that all the simple things you already know are true, are still true. It’s inspiring to be reminded. If you are feeling overwhelmed, just take a deep breath, exhale, and start at the beginning:
12) The Truest Beauty~ Part of our beauty radiates from the inside out. One way to nourish and bring out this beauty in ourselves is to be able to see it in others. We can recognize that we have common ground with everyone else in that we want to be loved, needed, useful and fulfilled. We can also reach out…to another, or to a good cause. Or, we can simply appreciate something about our lives right here and now… 94 ways of saying thank you
13) Bonus Tip: This is the season above any other that you will probably make goodies, bring goodies, give goodies, share goodies, eat goodies, and want goodies. The only hitch here is lots of junky sugary crap equals skin that looks like hell. As I am a huge fan of goodies myself, I would never advise to abstain from all. Instead, I’d love to share with you goodies I have found that are easy to make, surprisingly good for you, and super delicious:
- Everything Chocolate and Good…
- Fudge Brownies…
- Delectable and also Gluten Free…
- Sophisticated and Fabulous…
“…to be is first. To be peace. To be joy. To be happiness…First, you have to focus on the practice of being. Being fresh. Being peaceful. Being attentive. Being generous. Being compassionate. This is the basic practice.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
peace & cheers,
Rich Earth Organic Skin Care Studio understands that we are all individuals- unique and singular. There may be a tip that does not fit with your individual needs. As always, you are your own best guide. The information provided in this blog is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice or treatment.
Sources consulted in writing this blog:
- Facercise by Carol Maggio
- http://www.whiteteaguide.com/whiteteahealthbenefits.htm Tips on brewing white tea
- Dessert image by: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/
- Tea cups image by: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=14460&picture=hanging-cups
- Frownies before and after image by: http://www.frownies.com/
- Bath tub image by: http://planetthrive.com/2010/09/detox-bath/
- All other images by Rich Earth Organic Skin Care Spa
No Responses to “ Twelve Little Skin Care Tips~ ”
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.